- Jul 24 2019
TimeCentral Daylight Savings Time
- 8:30 am - 12:00 pm
See schedule below.
- 8:30 a.m. - 8:45 a.m.
- Breakfast with Keynote Speaker: Senator Eddie Lucio, District 27
- State Senator Eddie Lucio has had a huge impact on the housing production of affordable housing production. In the 86th Legislative Session, as Chairman of the Intergovernmental Relations Committee, he passed legislation that modernized the use of tax exempt bond financing to provide increased economic and housing development opportunities. His ability to bring stakeholders together and build consensus contributes to his reputation as a true public servant. Senator Lucio is a native of Brownsville, Texas and was elected State Senator in 1991. He also sits on the Committees on Natural Resources & Economic Development, Veterans Affairs and Military Installations, the Subcommittee on Border Security, and serves as Vice Chairman of Senate Education Committee.
Speakers / PanelistsSenator Eddie Lucio, District 27
- 8:45 a.m. - 9:45 a.m.
- Washington Wire- Tax Reform One Year Later
- Moderator: Tom Dixon, Boston Capital <br/> <br/>The 2017 Tax Cuts and Jobs Act, or Federal Tax Reform, has been in place for over a year now. See how this policy has worked with newly established Opportunity Zones, the value of tax credits, levels of federal appropriations, and rising development costs. TAAHP Board Member Tom Dixon moderates a panel with Washington housing policy and finance experts who have the latest facts on how Tax Reform has impacted investments in affordable housing.
Speakers / PanelistsBeth Mullin, CohnReznick LLP, David Gasson, Boston Capital, Monica Sussman Nixon Peabody, LLP
- 9:45 a.m. - 10:30 a.m.
- A Re-Cap of the 86th Legislative Session (with elected officials)
- Moderator: Bobby Bowling, Tropicana Building Corporation <br/> <br/>There was much activity impacting affordable housing during the 86th Texas Legislature. The changing dynamics of the legislature’s leadership and makeup had much to do with the policy outcomes that will impact industry. Hear directly from our elected state leaders about what they see as the vital outcomes from the legislative session that will affect housing policy in Texas.
Speakers / PanelistsRep. Angie Button, District 12 (2019 Urban Affairs Committee Chairwoman), Senator Carol Alvarado, District 6, Senator Jose Menendez, District 26
- 10:45 a.m. - 11:30 p.m.
- Agency Leaders Talk Affordable Housing
- Moderator: K. Nicole Asarch, Rock Real Estate, Ltd. <br/> <br/>As the demand for affordable housing continues to increase, we look to innovative solutions with our public agencies who are responsible for administering critical scarce resources. TAAHP Immediate Past President K. Nicole Asarch will moderate a distinguished panel of state executives in a discussion of how we are collectively addressing issues surrounding the affordable housing crisis.
Speakers / PanelistsDavid Cervantes, TDHCA, Rob Latsha, Texas Bond Review Board
- 11:45 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
- A Look Ahead to 2020
- Moderator: TAAHP 2018-2019 President Debra Guerrero, The NRP Group
Senator Eddie Lucio, District 27
Beth Mullin, CohnReznick LLP
David Gasson, Boston Capital
Monica Sussman Nixon Peabody, LLP
Rep. Angie Button, District 12 (2019 Urban Affairs Committee Chairwoman)
Senator Carol Alvarado, District 6
Senator Jose Menendez, District 26
David Cervantes, TDHCA
Rob Latsha, Texas Bond Review Board